Welcome to our tax guide for self employed barbers!

Are you a self employed barber looking for help with your business accounts and personal tax returns?

Simple Taxes can prepare and file your accounts & personal tax returns for you.

Expenses and allowances identified.

Fast turnaround times.

100% online service from a fully qualified female accountant you can rely on.

Sole traders from £30pm – click HERE to start.

Limited Companies from £50pm – click HERE to start.

Just need a simple tax return? Only £150 – click HERE to start.


In this article we discuss:


This tax guide aims to give self employed barbers a better understanding of the tax requirements side of their business, which many self employed barbers may struggle with.

We cover when you need to tell HMRC you are self employed, how to register as a self employed barber, self assessment taxes, and completing your annual tax return.

This guide is for sole traders, and doesn’t cover Limited Companies, where different rules apply.

Working for yourself has so many benefits. Taxes can be a factor that put many people off.

Simple Taxes are here to change that. Specialising in taxes and self assessment tax returns for the self employed, let your personal accountant worry about the tax requirements side of your business for you. We will offer advice and keep you tax efficient.

While using a professional accountant isn’t a legal requirement, it can be extremely beneficial. They will ensure you remain compliant with HMRC legislation when it comes to your tax affairs. They should also be able to save you tax, saving you money in the long run.

When Do I Need to Tell HMRC I Am Self Employed?

When your gross income (before expenses are deducted) goes over the £1,000 trading allowance in a tax year (6th April to 5th April), you will need to inform HMRC you are self employed.

Once the tax year ends on 5th April that you exceed £1,000, you will need to inform HMRC by 5th October.

How Do I Register as Self Employed With HMRC?

This can be done online through the HMRC website. Or Simple Taxes can do this for you.

What If I Have Made A Loss?

If you make a loss in the tax year, you must still declare your self employment figures to HMRC.

The loss can be carried forward and offset against future self employment profits.

Or alternatively, if you have employment income, the self employment loss can be set off sideways against your employment income, which may result in a tax rebate.

When Do I Need to File A Self Assessment Tax Return and Pay Tax?

The tax year ends on 5th April each year. You then have until 31st January the following tax year to file your tax return and pay any tax due on any profits after expenses are deducted.

If your tax liability exceeds £1,000 you will be required by HM Revenue & Customs to make payments on account towards the following tax year. The exact amount of payments on account are due on 31st January and 31st July.

What Income Do I Pay Tax On?

You will pay tax and National Insurance on your self employment profits. This is your total income in the tax year, less any business related expenses.

What Business Expenses Can I Claim When I’m A Self Employed Barber?

Below is a list of business expenses that many self employed barbers can claim:

What Are the Tax Thresholds and Rates for Self Employed?

Income tax is currently payable at 20% for profits over the £12,570 tax free personal allowance. This increases to 40% for any income over £50,270

Class 2 NI is a voluntary set weekly amount of £3.15 when your profits are below £6,725. Class 2 NI contributions ensure you get your annual tick towards your state pension. If your profits are over £6,725, you do not need to pay any Class 2 NI to get the annual tick. As soon as you reach state pension age, you stop paying Class 2 NI if you are still working.

Class 4 NI is 6% of any profits over £12,570 up to £50,270. 2% on profits over £50,270.

Sound complicated? Don’t worry! When you complete your tax return online HMRC automatically calculates any tax due for you. Or you can use the service of a qualified accountant such as Simple Taxes who will be able to offer professional advice specific to your current situation. Added bonus – you can claim any accountant fees as an expense!

What Records Do I Need to Keep?

When you are self employed you are legally required to keep all of your business records (bank statements, sales invoices, purchase and expenses invoices), for 6 years plus the current tax year.

This is incase HMRC ever ask you for proof of your figures. They can issue penalties if the required documents not available.

How Can I Keep My Accounts & Business Finances Organised?

Here are a few tips for keeping accurate records and keeping on top of your business accounts and finances:

Further Information

For further information on self employment, please read the HMRC guidance here.

If you need help with your taxes get in touch with us today at www.simpletaxes.co.uk .


The information contained in this blog is for general information purposes only, and not for accounting and tax advice. You should speak to a qualified professional about your specific circumstances before acting upon any of the information in this blog.

Date Published: February 2024

Last Updated: April 2024

× How can I help you? Available on SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday